Monday, September 22, 2008

The World According to Angela

My 4-year old daughter Angela’s ineffable sagacity sometimes manifests itself in the most unpredictable ways…..The other day we got into a discussion about why things always fall down to the ground, and I was explaining to her about how a force called gravity makes EVERYTHING fall; I demonstrated: the crayons, the coloring book, the stuffed animal, even the leaves.

I should mention here that Angela is in the infamous independent, rebellious, you-say-black-I’ll-find-a-way-to-say-white stage. So she looked around and pointed out that the sun and the moon and the stars don’t fall down. I had a tough time explaining that….

We got a bird feeder on our front porch the other day, and lately she’s been marveling at the hummingbirds. They don’t fall down either, she observes. You can bet that when human beings figure out a way to fly, Angela will be among the first to flap her wings….

No comments: